Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Daniel Johnston - Yip/Jump Music

Daniel Johnston – Yip/Jump Music
Eternal Yip Eye Music, 1983 (Vinyl Reissue)
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2008
Price: $12

After putting this on, I realized I didn't really need to own it. Daniel Johnston, as much as I adore him, isn't one of those artists you need to have on vinyl. This was originally issued on cassette tape, and that's kind of where it belongs. That or the MP3s on my hard drive, you don't really need quality because soundwise, there isn't any. So dubbing it to slabs of vinyl is a trick to get people who don't buy anything but vinyl to buy Daniel Johnston records. And it worked, as you can clearly see. However, I won't sell it because someday I'll need to put a Daniel Johnston song on a tape or something. This has some of my favorite songs of his, but goddamn listening to all four sides of this double LP is a real slog. Yes, it does have “Speeding Motorcycle” on it, which is worth the price of admission alone. In addition to that, there are classics like “Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Your Grievances,” “Dead Lover's Twisted Heart,” the haunting a capella (if you can call it that) “King Kong” (which was geniusly redone on the Late Great Daniel Johnston covers comp by Tom Waits), and “Sorry Entertainer.” There's some really, really weird shit on here though. Like the reoccuring and repetitive “Danny Don't Rapp,” which becomes hypnotizing after a while. Maybe I'm blaspheming, but I don't think Daniel Johnston is an album artist. However, as I said, this has fucking “Speeding Motorcycle” so I'm never selling!

No comments:

Post a Comment