Monday, September 21, 2009

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Darklands

The Jesus and Mary Chain – Darklands
Blanco y Negro/Warner Bros, 1987
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2008
Price: $6


This is my perfect rainy day record, and the one I left in KJHK Essentials forEVER. I don't think I ever took it out because I always loved hearing tracks from it on the radio all the damn time. This is my favorite JAMC record, and this was one of those records I longed to find on vinyl. Then one day, it was at Love Garden and super fucking cheap. An old promo copy, yes, but who cares? Honestly, every song in this record is excellent and I almost always have to listen to it all the way through every time. “Darklands” was a landmark track last fall when I didn't know what the fuck I was doing, was heartbroken and pissed off at everything and wanted to move (but wanted to stay, etc, I read into it a lot). “Cherry Came Too,” like “Taste of Cindy,” is a fucking perfect pop song and kind of a sequel to that one, I think. It's got the perfect balance of that rainy day sound and upbeat pop jams, and it's good. Way good. If you overlooked it, please don't continue to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment