Thursday, September 3, 2009

Wanda Jackson - Salutes the Country Music Hall of Fame

Wanda Jackson -Salutes the Country Music Hall of Fame
Capitol, 1967
Acquired: Gift from Ex-Girlfriend, Used, 2007
Price: $0

This was either a Christmas or Birthday gift I got from Annie when we were dating. It's very much up my alley, and purchased due to my undying love for Patsy Cline. Jackson is probably as much of a badass as Cline, but her voice doesn't really have the capability to break my heart. Is she a good yodeler, as evidenced on “Blue Yodel No. 6?” Yes, yes she is. Is she the queen of Rockabilly? Yes, but not here. Here we just have ten songs by Hank Williams, Ernest Tubb, Tex Ritter, Jimmie Rodgers, and Roy Acuff and they all feel a little slagged off. Although, looking at pictures of her from back in the day (pre-afro), I realize that Wanda Jackson was a total babe. “Let's Say Goodbye Like We Said Hello” is pretty good, and sounds better from a woman's point of view. Mostly, though, I think this reeeealllllyyyy falls flat and I would much rather be listening to a compilation of the songs being covered. Jackson claimes that “Of all the albums [she] has recorded, [she] has never enjoyed making an album more than this one.” That's a fine sentiment, but it doesn't make me want to listen to this record ever again.

*Also, just realized that this should have come BEFORE Jawbreaker, but instead of figuring out a way to make this come before that one, I'll just leave it.*

No comments:

Post a Comment