Monday, September 21, 2009

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy

The Jesus and Mary Chain – Psychocandy
Blanco y Negro/Reprise, 1985 (Reissue)
Acquired: Love Garden, New, 2008
Price: $16


This was an impulse buy. I'd been listening to this record every time I had to go up to campus last fall and one day just went down and bought the reissue because, well, why not? That, and I think I'd just got my student loans, so I could drop nearly $20 on a record. It's on super heavy vinyl and sounds amazing. I hate to be one of those people that says “it sounds better on vinyl,” because that purist bullshit annoys me and sound quality is usually secondary to content, but fuck, this record was made for the warm tones that only come out of a turntable. “Just Like Honey” never sounded as good as when I first threw this on the turntable. This purchase also led to my discovery of “Taste of Cindy,” which I now cite as one of the best pop songs of all time. It's super short, it's fuzzy, catchy as fuck and perfect for a sunny day AND a rainstorm. I don't know, it's great. This whole record sounds awesome, except that there is another song on the b-side that sounds exactly like “Just Like Honey.” Can't ever remember which one it is, though. This is one of those records I needed to buy for my future children, you know? One they find when they're digging through my old vinyl in the basement. I'll have to teach them how to use a turntable, and like that Love Garden promo on KJHK, explain what vinyl is and why I bought so much of it instead of turbo MP3, or whatever the new format is.

No comments:

Post a Comment