Thursday, September 3, 2009

Jawbreaker - Dear You

Jawbreaker – Dear You
Warner Bros., 1996
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2007
Price: $15

This is the crown jewel of my music collection and one of my favorite albums of all time. Though Jawbreaker were met with derision upon the release of this, their major label debut, I think this is a pretty fantastic record and hands down, my ultimate go to break-up record. Last summer I would listen to this with friends post-bar and we would bitch about girl troubles. Luke and I made a sort of ritual out of it after a while. Lots of blaring this with the back door open drinking the rest of the booze in my house and smoking cigarettes. All of that, a lot last summer. It's weird listening to this album while content, though. I thought I would like it less but I still think it's the jam. I can't tell if the songs remind me of my thought patterns or my thought patterns are influenced by the songs. I just can't think of an album more bitter, which is what I love about it. Because at one point in my life I was nothing but bitter and angry and this felt like what was running through my head constantly. Recently, I've achieved “Unlisted Track,” which is really just the perfect little cap on everything. The getting over it. Dear You is a letter to someone in your past, but writing that letter, no matter how bitter, mean, or pissed off it is ultimately leads to closure and resolution. Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment