Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Beatles - I Want to Hold Your Hand 45

The Beatles – I Want to Hold Your Hand 45
Capitol, 1963
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2007
Price: $2


Well, it's the Beatles, and for me this is where pop music starts. This song. I remember hearing it all the time as a kid when the only radio station we ever listened to was Oldie 95 and I remember this having an impact on me. I never became one of those dudes who was obsessed with the Beatles or anything like that, but there really isn't a time when I can't listen to the Beatles. At work, they're one of the few rock bands that are actually allowed over the speakers and it's a nice change from yawny classical or random blues (which ultimately, just makes working depressing). The Beatles are the best band in the world because well, it's just too much of a pain in the ass to try to refute that. This is where pop music starts, this is the reason you have Katy Perry and all that trash and it's also the reason you have Beat Happening and the Pains of Being Pure at Heart or whatever. This is what I think of when I think “catchy song.” Song that, from the first note, lodges itself in your brain. It's stupid simple, and that's why it's great. Maybe someone should do a modern version of this song, something along the lines of “I Want to Text Message You Sweet Nothings” or “I Want to Do the Nasty With You in a High School Parking Lot,” but that would cheapen the simple, and still SOMEWHAT desire to just simply hold someone's damn hand, which is somehow still a big thing, even with the internet and all that.


Informative video with song!

No comments:

Post a Comment