Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Beau Brummels - "Just a Little" 45

The Beau Brummels – “Just a Little” 45
Autumn, 1965
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2005
Price: $2

One of the first 7”s I remember buying, having discovered this band on my then girlfriend's Nuggets CD box set via their song “Laugh, Laugh.” I saw this at Love Garden, grabbed it, and pretty much instantly fell in love with it. I don't know why I didn't follow “Laugh, Laugh” down the rabbit hole further, I feel like I missed out on a whole 60s psychedelic pop phase my freshman year of college. But then again, the conditions for indie rock were just so much better. Still, those Nuggets box sets hold a special place in my heart, and this is one of those perfect little songs that exists on a 7” piece of wax forever or until the world melts. The b-side “They'll Make You Cry” is also quite good, and like “Just a Little” twists some folk rock influences into a mysterious little number with a harmonica line that sounds straight out of some seedy b-movie western. Diggin' these jams, diggin' 'em good.


No comments:

Post a Comment