Friday, May 7, 2021

1001 Albums: #30 - Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard

Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Riverside, 1961


Evans' playing on Miles Davis' Kind of Blue gave him some immediate cred in my mind, so I came into this one with fewer White Boy Jazz suspiciousness than I did with someone like, say, Dave Brubeck (note: Jazz is none of my business). Hell of a piano player. It's another one of those great midcentury live albums that I was just talking about (see: Muddy Waters at Newport). You can practically feel the smoke-filled room and see the audience sipping cocktails. A smoke-filled room is both a nuisance and something I weirdly miss. The ambience it lends cannot be matched by a mere smoke machine either: You need to know you're going to have to wash your clothes twice before you can wear them again. I remember seeing Feist opening for the Kings of Convenience at the Bottleneck in early 2005 pre-Apple commercial and pre-indoor smoking ordinance in Lawrence and that set is one of my favorites I ever saw in the hundreds of concerts I went to in my college and post-college years. Sunday at the Village Vanguard is music built for smoke-filled rooms and a glass of scotch. I hate the bass solos but what're you gonna do (Note: Jazz is none of my business, take that with a grain of salt). Evans' piano playing is marvelous.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to thank Ultimate Life Clinic for reversing my father's Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). My father’s ALS condition was fast deteriorating before he started on the ALS Herbal medicine treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic. He was on the treatment for just 6 months and we never thought my father will recover so soon. He has gained some weight in the past months and he is able to walk with no support. You can reach them through there website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com

    ReplyDelete