Friday, May 21, 2021

1001 Albums: #35 - The Beatles - With the Beatles

The Beatles - With the Beatles
Parlophone, 1963


I'm currently going through my Beatles phase. The Beatles have been ever-present in my life forever, like anyone else who grew up listening to Oldies, but until this year the only albums of theirs I had listened to all the way through were Rubber Soul and Sgt. Pepper. It was purely a greatest hits kind of fandom. It has been a lot of fun working through their discography, mostly because it's incredible how much they evolved over the course of a single decade. The group's second album is half covers, and the only Beatles classic in the tracklist is "All My Loving." You could make an argument for "Don't Bother Me" if George is your favorite Beatle, so I'll make the argument for "Don't Bother Me" (that Scorsese doc about him is currently on HBO Max and it's excellent). Also, the Lennon/Harrison duet of Smokey Robinson's "You Really Got a Hold on Me" is fantastic. Also, when I was a kid my siblings and I were at the bowling alley with my dad eating corn dogs and my dad instructed me to play "Roll Over Beethoven" on the jukebox in at our little diner booth and my finger slipped and I accidentally played "Heart of Glass" by Blondie and that is my earliest memory of shame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment