Tuesday, May 25, 2021

1001 Albums: #38 - Sam Cooke - Live at the Harlem Square Club


Sam Cooke - Live at the Harlem Square Club
RCA, 1963



Man alive. I was always a Sam Cooke fan, but hearing him here at his rawest, putting it all out there on stage, well that's something special. The overall vibe of this thing is just awesome. It puts you right in the heart of Miami's Harlem Square Club. The recording isn't crisp, but Cooke's charisma cuts through the quality like a razor. The version of "Bring it on Home to Me" with an extended lead in and its shaggy delivery absolutely blew my mind. That's one of my favorite songs of all time, and hearing him sell it here is absolute magic. There's a reason the best of I have on vinyl is on the untouchable list when I cull. It feels like a cheat that this album--which was released 22 years after the fact in 1985--is slotted in at 1963, but it captures the period so well it's hard to argue. That Cooke was killed a year later at the age of 33 makes this album, which is brimming with life, so absolutely vital.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to thank Ultimate Life Clinic for reversing my father's Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). My father’s ALS condition was fast deteriorating before he started on the ALS Herbal medicine treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic. He was on the treatment for just 6 months and we never thought my father will recover so soon. He has gained some weight in the past months and he is able to walk with no support. You can reach them through there website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com

    ReplyDelete