Saturday, May 30, 2009

Damon & Naomi - More Sad Hits

Damon & Naomi – More Sad Hits

Shimmy Disc, 1992

Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2006

Price: $6



This is one of the prettiest records I own and the one I used as a sleep aid the most between the summer’s of 2006 and 2007. I remember listening to this in my huge room at the duplex on Illinois St in the afternoon for naps and at night after taking a sleeping pill. I’ve said this before, just because it’s good sleeping music doesn’t mean it’s bad or boring! On the contrary, I think if a band can make good music to fall asleep too, that’s a +1 for them. It’s called dream pop for a reason! While the group lacks Dean Wareham’s charm and ruggedly handsome good looks (sorry, Damon, you have fish lips), musically they’re what made Galaxie 500 so perfectly sad without dwelling on it too much. Both Side A and Side B start off with sadcore jams (“E.T.A.” and “Astrafiammante,” respectively), and I like that a LOT. This is one of my top 3 most listened to records in my collection (along with Jim O’Rourke’s Bad Timing and Tender Forever’s Wider). Not necessarily the best record in my collection, but one that constantly finds itself on my turntable.

No comments:

Post a Comment