Saturday, May 23, 2009

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

John Coltrane – A Love Supreme

Impulse!, 1965

Acquired: Love Garden, Used (Reissue), 2006

Price: $10


I remember getting this record on CD for Christmas when I was 16. I asked for it because Henry Rollins mentioned it in one of his spoken word bits and cited it as a record that could bring world peace…in a sense. I think in the bit he’s talking about Palestinian soldiers going to kill some Israeli’s and hearing this record playing from their camp (this and Road to Ruin by the Ramones). It was about how people could just get along if they knew they liked the same great records. Anyway, I knew nothing about jazz then (I still don’t) but this record still sounds fresh. I pay attention to Coltrane like I would pay attention to a pop song. It’s so expressive, beautifully arranged and everything is just so precise there is no way anyone could not see this as one of the crowning musical achievements of the western world.

No comments:

Post a Comment