Sunday, May 31, 2009

Destroyer - Notorious Lightning and Other Works

Destroyer – Notorious Lightning and Other Works

Soft Abuse/Merge, 2005

Acquired: Love Garden, New, 2008

Price: $12



This record is half of the songs from Your Blues recorded as they probably would have been had Dan Bejar not abandoned his backing band for MIDI. While I adore Your Blues, my favorite Destroyer records are always going to be…well, all the other ones that aren’t Your Blues. But I still love that record, does that make sense? Basically I love Destroyer as a band. Here though, it’s extra weird, as Frog Eyes is his backing band. While I wasn’t sold at first, I’m now convinced (especially after how great Swan Lake has proven to be). The version of “New Ways of Living” on this record is FAR superior to the version on Your Blues and that’s why I bought the record. That and I was sure it would go out of print, like all Destroyer records, and given that I want to own his entire discography it was a safe bet. Now, if only I had an extra few hundred bucks lying around to pick up Streethawk: A Seduction or This Night, then I’d be in business. But alas, this is what I got. Well, this and the two Destroyer records that come after this. I should also say that I pretty much worship Dan Bejar and he picked the most perfect songs to remake for this record (though I would love to hear a full band version of “From Oakland to Warsaw,” I’d rather hear “Don’t Become the Thing You Hated”).

No comments:

Post a Comment