Sunday, May 24, 2009

Elvis Costello - This Year's Model

Elvis Costello – This Year’s Model

Columbia, 1978

Acquired: Amoeba Music (Los Angeles), Used, 2005

Price: $4



Saw this for cheap at Amoeba when I was in LA and of course had to buy it. Fuck any notion of a sophomore slump with Elvis Costello, because this album is just as good as My Aim is True. It phases out the raw rootsy punk sound of that record in favor of keyboardy new wave. It still kicks ass, though, and sophomore year my roommate and I held what I dubbed the “No Action” party, which was designed specifically for no one at the party to get laid that night. Alas, the title song never played, but whatever. Though “Pump it Up” is the best known song on this record and has been used in countless montages in films, it’s probably my least favorite song here. Maybe just because it’s been ubiquitous to the point of being obnoxious. “Little Triggers” makes me hurt every single time I hear it and breaks my heart just a little bit more. It’s still one of the sexiest songs I’ve ever heard. This is a record full of monster jams and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve played “Radio Radio” when I’ve been pissed off with the way KJHK is going (now I’m listening to "Radio Radio" it all the time).

No comments:

Post a Comment