Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bob Dylan - Desire

Bob Dylan – Desire

Columbia, 1976

Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2008

Price: $7



Well, I’m pretty much sick of listening to Bob Dylan. It doesn’t help that I’m packing shit up to move out of my house and it’s goddamned sweltering (and at 10 PM no less!). But yeah, this is the last great Bob Dylan record before he started making mostly shit for the next thirty years. He’s got some OK stuff after this but nothing great. Actually, I don’t even like this record that much. I think “Hurricane” is an admirable return to the topical songwriting of his youth but man, is that shit played out. And I’m sick of calling KJHK DJs a minute into the song telling them to turn it off because it’s a DNP. “Joey” is one of Dylan’s few missteps when it comes to long songs, and it’s just really fucking boring. “Isis” is alright, but again, too long. AND SO IS “Black Diamond Bay!” Oof. “Sara,” on the other hand, is an incredibly heartbreaking companion piece to “Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands” (in a way). “Oh, Sister” and “One More Cup of Coffee” are also solid jams, but mostly, I don’t know why I bought this. But yeah, this shit is overrated. It’s still goddamned good, but yeah. I’m only halfway through “Joey” now. Kill me.

1 comment: