Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Electrelane - No Shouts No Calls

Electrelane – No Shouts No Calls

Too Pure, 2007

Acquired: Love Garden, New, 2007

Price: $14



Despite the fact that this is a Double LP, and that I typically hate dealing with Double LPs, I feel like this is the one Double LP I own that doesn’t bother me because, thought No Shouts No Calls has terrific flow and is a joy to listen to when I throw the CD in my car, when I pull out the beautiful, glossy LP and place those perfectly heavy slabs onto the turntable, I just want to sit, patiently listen, and flip the discs when I am required to. This is what siren songs sound like, I think. That is, I would drive my ship into the rocks for this lovely, lovely music. The Krautrock influence of their earlier records has been smoothed out, and though it’s still there a little bit in the keyboards and the basslines, it’s basically just mellow pop bliss. Despite the fact that it’s just plain beautiful, there’s a certain complexity to these songs that rewards upon close listening. Although I rarely ever listen closely, I’m too transfixed on how good it sounds, which I guess is why this is sort of a perfect record. There is lots of super cool stuff going on but the most important thing is that all you can really do is listen to it and enjoy. Plus, Disc 1 Side A is easily the most solid side of any Double LP I own with “The Greater Times,” “To the East,” and “After the Call.” Oof. Love it.

1 comment: