Friday, July 17, 2009

Galaxie 500 - This is Our Music

Galaxie 500 – This is Our Music

Rough Trade, 1990

Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2008

Price: $20



This is one of those milestone records for me, in multiple ways. First, there’s the fact that this is my favorite Galaxie 500 record (thought all three are fucking phenomenal and I’ve only recently discovered the hidden joys of Today. Their version of “Don’t Let Our Youth Go to Waste” is now one of my favorite songs of all time) and I listen to “Fourth of July” every Fourth of July. In fact, I love this record so much that on the Fourth of July, 2008, I slapped Chris Clark in the face because he said he’d never really got into them. I was drunk, very drunk, and wearing my Galaxie 500 shirt (because I am a massive geek) and yeah, we were just sitting on some gravel drinking beer, smoking cigarettes and watching people play with sparklers and I just drunkenly slapped him. I meant for it to be a playful slap but of course, I hit him as hard as I possibly could and felt really, really, reallllllllllyyyyyyyyyy bad about it. It’s still a story Chris and I tell people when we start talking about music and obsession with music. Anyway, yeah. This also has “Way Up High” and “Listen, the Snow is Falling” (which is my all-time go-to jam whenever it starts to snow in the wintertime). It’s an old radio station copy (from some radio station I’ve never heard of and really, this is exactly the kind of copy of this record I want to own. The cover is worn and loved, but the vinyl is a pretty solid VG+ and it sounds fucking amazing. Although, I just noticed that Damon looks like a fucking creepster on the cover, and even after noticing this it’s still one of my favorite record covers of all time (at least in terms of graphic design, holy shit). PLUS, produced by Kramer who went on to produce Low who initially got me into Galaxie 500. Win. Win win win. Gush gush gush.

1 comment:

  1. I love this album - and I love it when other folk love it as much as me (maybe more - I don't ever remember slapping anyone!)

    ReplyDelete