Friday, July 3, 2009

Destroyer - Destroyer's Rubies

Destroyer – Destroyer’s Rubies

Merge/Scratch, 2006

Acquired: Love Garden, New, 2006

Price: $19



My favorite Destroyer anecdote (yes, I have a favorite Destroyer anecdote) is the one where I’m playing “Rubies” on the radio (radio edited, of course) and an old woman call up and tells me why she really, really likes that song. “That Destroyer is quite literate,” she says. I tell her that’s one of my favorite things about Destroyer. Dan Bejar has long been one of my favorite lyricists. I don’t know what the hell he’s talking about half the time, but the fact that he can string together a handful of words and come up with something like “You disrupt the world’s disorder just by virtue of your grace” or “I was good with names, I had a way with faces/ I was a dominant theme in a number of places.” There’s something about the musicality of his word choices that tends to overshadow the musicianship, which I should mention is fucking top notch. On Rubies I’m pretty sure it’s most of the dudes that played on This Night, yet where that record was full of space, Rubies blends in some of the explosive pop-song aesthetic of Streethawk: A Seduction and Thief. Bejar’s career might be my favorite to track. The one that brings me the most glee upon a new release. Also, what the fuck is a jewel-encrusted roan?

No comments:

Post a Comment