Friday, November 6, 2009

Bernard Butler - People Move On

Bernard Butler – People Move On
Creation,
Acquired: Love Garden Blowout Location, Used, 2009
Price: $1 (originally $16)

Wow, this sounds like what Britpop sounds like when I think of Britpop. Bernard Butler is famously the guitarist from Suede and also famously a producer of records. I remember reviewing some record for KJHK that he'd produced and talking about this very thing, his being a famous producer and guitarist from Suede while mentioning that I've never listened to Suede ever. I probably should, that would probably be something I like. And since I like this record, I would probably like those Suede records even more. Though this sounds like a very typical solo record, the “I'm free! I'm free! Look what I can do all on my own!” solo record.” It's good though. Worth listening to, although I'd be lying if I told you I bought it because I like Britpop. I do like Britpop, it's a good genre, if it's a genre at all. A sound maybe. Anyway, I bought it because it looked like something people would pay money for if I tried to sell it. It looked like something a dad would by. A dad who had taste in the 80s and 90s, but has since quit caring about music too much now that he has to worry about pediatricians, picking up the kids from school, and dad's night to cook dinner. He has no time for new bands, and thus picks up the solo records of the bands he liked back when he was young free and single. He buys all the Frank Black records, but he's young enough not to be one of those sad old people who loved Dire Straights and now buys every awful Mark Knophler CD. He'll get every Jarvis Cocker and Bernard Butler record, and they'll be pretty good, and they will understand these records because they are about the same age as these guys. And really, there's nothing wrong with that. I know it's what I'm going to do when I turn 40. I'm sure I will not have anything in common with modern music and cling to my past heroes. Isacc Brock solo records, imagine it. I'm sure Carl Newman will be putting out solo records, but as Carl Newman, not AC. These records will achieve middling success, but ultimately it will be like Bruce Springsteen or Billy Bragg. Though they keep making records, and the records are usually pretty good, they're nowhere near as good as they one were. The point is, this record sounds like dad rock, but cooler than most dad rock out there. It's way cooler than the records Wilco have released since they've become dad rock (post-A Ghost is Born). This is just speculation. And did I mention that this is a pretty damn decent record? Butler often sounds like he's stretching his voice. OH FUCK! I just remembered that KJ review. It was for that terrible Black Kids record! Anyway, he's a decent singer, it's a good record. Although I disapprove of the promo photographs that line the covers and sleeves, as they make Butler looks like a sissy. And I don't think he's really a sissy. His voice is a little thin, but it's good. The production is fucking ace (natch) and honestly, if it weren't spread over 2 LPs I might find myself listening to it more often. And if anything, I'm gonna go find those first two Suede records.


No comments:

Post a Comment