Friday, November 6, 2009

Songs: Ohia - The Lioness

Songs: Ohia – The Lioness
Secretly Canadian, 2000
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2007
Price: $8

I own two Songs: Ohia records, and they are the Songs: Ohia records I believe to be the best. The other is their masterpiece, The Magnolia Electric Co. The Lioness is my second favorite, mostly for the jawdroppingly good title track, and the almost as good “Coxcomb Red.” He hasn't incorporated the rock n' roll band yet, and it still sounds like Jason Molina alone in a dark room at the end of the world. While I tend to like my artists a little lo-fi, I prefer Jason Molina when his records are masterfully produced. In this case, the record was recorded in Scotland with folkie Alasdair Roberts with help from Arab Strap (whom the record is dedicated to). Actually, come to think of it I'm realizing it might not be the second best Songs: Ohia record, but the one I've spent the second-most amount of time with. It's one I keep returning to over and over again when I don't want to listen to Magnolia Electric Co. or Magnolia Electric Co. But yeah, listen to “Lioness,” it's pretty fucking amazing. I also like how I look like I'm about to burst into tears in this photo.



Oh man! "Coxcomb Red" too!

No comments:

Post a Comment