Sunday, November 8, 2009

School of Language - Sea From Shore

School of Language – Sea From Shore
Thrill Jockey, 2008
Acquired: Love Garden Blowout Location, New, 2009
Price: $1 (originally $13)

Like a most of the records I picked up at the dollar sale, I bought this one based on the fantastic cover design. However, there's more to it with this one I guess. School of Language is the side project of David Brewis, who is in a pretty good indie-pop band called Field Music with his brother Peter. Peter and David put Field Music on hiatus and each made a record with their side project. Peter put out a record as The Week That Was, which was pretty some pretty fucking good indie rock that was really dense and kind of epic but still warm and surprisingly inviting. School of Language is a bit different. It's more guitar heavy and has a pretty straight-up Brit rock feel to it that I really dig. It's a solo record in the purest sense of the word, in that he did everything here with the exception of some back-up vocals on a couple tracks. I find it strange that I like both of the Brewis brother's side projects more than I liked their much beloved Field Music. And I love that they both helped each other out with their own respective records. A genuine no hard feelings creative differences sort of thing. I also like that there's no fat to be trimmed on this record. Brewis knows his way around pop songwriting and economically gets his point across.

I like the comment on this video that says "good indie rock!" because that's exactly what I think this record is!

No comments:

Post a Comment