Monday, November 2, 2009

Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends

Simon & Garfunkel – Bookends
Columbia, 1968
Acquired: Love Garden Shotgun Room, Used, 2006
Price: $1

This was no doubt purchased during my “I want to build a record collection that I should have inherited from my parents” phase, sophomore year of college I believe. Despite being a little hit or miss, this is the record that has “America” on it, which I firmly believe is Simon & Garfunkel's best song. There's something about that humming that makes this song so warm and beautiful. This record fucking sucks though. I mean, it's got a track called “Voices of Old People” and it is EXACTLY THAT. The liner notes say “Art Garfunkel recorded old people in various locations in New York and Los Angeles.” They're all old jewish folk, and my god, it is annoying. Like a bit on an episode of “Seinfeld” or something. It slapdashedly incorporates “Mrs. Robinson,” which is a jam, but that's beside the point because it doesn't work in the concept of the album and sticks out like a sore thumb. “A Hazy Shade of Winter” is also very good, and a total jam, totally upbeat and vital unlike the rest of this sappy, milquetoast record. If they had the internet in 1968, I guarantee you this album cover would end up on LOOKATTHISFUCKINGBEATNIK.COM.

No comments:

Post a Comment