Friday, November 13, 2009

Superchunk - Come Pick Me Up

Superchunk – Come Pick Me Up
Merge, 1999
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2007
Price: $8

This is the record Jenny always makes me put on. She has been complaining about the stuff I play when we're making dinner and such and insists I put on Superchunk (or sometimes Portastatic). So this record has been getting a lot of play lately. Though not as raw and immediate as their earlier records, Mac really hasn't made anything less than pretty good. In fact, I'd venture to say this is a great record, full of the awesome pop hooks he's been crafting to carve out a name for himself over the last couple of decades. If you're ever at the KJHK shack, you can check out my review for the “Hello Hawk” single, which is just two panels and pretty much exactly what you would expect. That song blew me away when I first heard it. “1000 Pounds” is amazing too, one of their best evah. Maybe it's Jim O'Rourke's production work that partially makes up how good this record is, but mostly it's just Mac and co following their track of never making a bad record. They just don't. Their latest pair of jams, “Learned to Surf” from the Leaves in the Gutter EP and “Crossed Wires” continue in this vein, which is to say they're perfect, rock out with the windows down college rock pop jams. And this record makes me wonder why I haven't put Superchunk on a pedestal yet like I have with other bands, because everything they do is everything I like about music.


For the win:

No comments:

Post a Comment