Friday, November 6, 2009

Songs for Moms - The Worse it Gets the Better

Songs for Moms – The Worse it Gets the Better
Starcleaner, 2007
Acquired: KJHK Music Staff, New, 2007
Price: $0

Shambling girlie indie pop from the bay area. This is one of the records I took from music staff and didn't take back because it wasn't that great. It's not nearly as bad as I thought it was. It's nice. It's got janky mixing, which tends to happen with these lo-fi punk-pop records. There's a blatant fondness for Tiger Trap that ends up being my main reason for liking this. It's a little grating at times (as on “Underground,” although I like the chorus) but it's often really fun and nice (“Why Oh Baby”). Nice is the word I use here because fuck, that's the only word I CAN use. It's not a great record. It's not an innovative record. And I read a review that said it sounded like “The Sealab theme song” and that comment was TOTALLY SPOT ON. It's nice because I can't say it's a really good record. It's a good record, but moreover it's a nice record. That and I have a real softspot for folk-punk bands made up of girls. Irresistible!!! Just wish the cover art wasn't so fucking godawful.

Although, <3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment