Sunday, November 8, 2009

Odd Nosdam - Pretty Swell Explode

Odd Nosdam – Pretty Swell Explode
Anticon, 2008
Acquired: Love Garden Blowout Sale, New, 2009
Price: $1 (originally $17)

This is an interesting compilation of remixes, b-sides and odds and ends from former cLOUDDEAD member and producer Odd Nosdam. I remember this charting a lot when I was music director, but I never really listened to the record. I never really listened to cLOUDDEAD that much, either, and when I did I ended up bypassing them completely and bee-lining to Yoni Wolf and Why?. It's kind of a mishmash of straight up remixes of other peoples stuff (stuff from Thee More Shallows, Boards of Canada, Serena-Maneesh, and Black Moth Super Rainbow are a few). Lots of interesting beats, lots of stylistic diversity. The way the vinyl is labeled, I really have no clue what's what. I can usually tell when I'm listening to a remix and when I'm listening to an original, but that's about it. There seem to be more grooves than there are songs, too, so there's that too. Mostly I'm just letting it wash over me because it was only a buck and it sounds pretty good. Really excellent background music for my ongoing job search. The second disc has a lot of Loveless-esque shoegazey stuff and the first track on it is a direct rip-off of William Basinski's Disintegration Loops. Actually, most of it is a rip-off of that (the second disc, that is), but it's also tied to the shoegazey whale sounds (do you know what I mean? That track that comes before “Sometimes” I think, the one that sounds like whale calls). Overall, it's a record that I don't need but don't mind having.

No comments:

Post a Comment