Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Cass McCombs - Dropping the Writ

Cass McCombs – Dropping the Writ
Domino, 2007
Acquired: Love Garden Blowout Location, New, 2009
Price: $3

Wow, this is...different than I expected. I picked this one up based on my adoration for McCombs latest release, Catacombs, and this sounds hardly anything like this. On Catacombs McCombs sounds like Cass McCombs. Here he often sounds like an Elliott Smith knock off. Especially on “Full Moon or Infinity.” A dead ringer. Then right after that you get “Windfall” which is very much in the vein of the haunting and gorgeous tunes on Catacombs. There are excellent lines strewn throughout, all in the vein of the straightforward lyricism that makes Catacombs so relatable and cozy. Stuff like “So I got a job/Cleaning toilets/at a nightclub in Baltimore” just kills me. At the same time, based on this something like “Dream-Come-True-Girl” seems out of left field. This is a pleasant record, and I would enjoy re-listening to it but shit now I just really want Catacombs.

Since I mentioned that other record of his a bunch of times, check out the video for "Dream-Come-True-Girl." So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment