Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Lorries - Crawling Mantra EP

The Lorries – Crawling Mantra
Homestead, 1987
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2008
Price: $4

Recently writing these entries has been very “The More You Know” with a little star/rainbow thing flying overhead. I've been doing more research in order to make more connections with some of the random records I've acquired in recent weeks. I picked this one up a year or so ago, and until now never knew that this was a release by the band Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, released with a one time band name change for whatever reason. I don't know why they didn't just stick with the Lorries though, because it's a better name. There is a LOT of post-punk here, yet unlike the bands from five years ago who were rehashing post-punk, this is from the era and is legit. That is, the frontman sounds like Ian Curtis and not like someone who sounds like a frontman who sounds like Ian Curtis. There's a goth element there too, but there's also a little hint at dance on “Hang Man,” at least in the industrial-sounding beat. I must confess though, I didn't buy this for the music. Ok, I saw it was on Homestead which is pretty much as legit as it gets in the 80s, but mostly I bought it because the cover is bad fucking ass. However, the songs are all pretty good! I mean, I actually dig this quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment