Friday, October 30, 2009

Otis Redding - The Best of Otis Redding

Otis Redding – The Best Of Otis Redding
Atlantic, 1984
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2007
Price: $5

For the most part, Otis Redding just makes me sad. When I foolishly put on Otis Redding when I really am sad, it makes me absolutely miserable, which is sad, because I really love his voice. Like a grittier Otis Redding if you can call his voice gritty, you really can't. It's more raw, I guess, which I like. This is a pretty decent Best Of. It's got his version of “My Girl,” the surprisingly upbeat “Mr. Pitiful” (surprising given the title, that is), his cover of the Stones“(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction,” “Try a Little Tenderness” and of course “(Sitting on) the Dock of the Bay.” But there are a few stinkers, like “Love Man.” Actually, that's the only song that really sucks on this Best Of. OH! Fuck! Just looked at Allmusic to check the date on this one and they define his vocals as gritty too! “Dock of the Bay” has always been one of the most moving songs I've ever heard and you know what, it skips! Great. I bought it specifically for that song and it skips! Figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment