Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime

Minutemen – Double Nickels on the Dime
SST, 1984
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2007
Price: $12

While not as immediate as Black Flag or Minor Threat, I didn't get into the Minutemen until college. I got into Husker Du kind of hardcore around the same time, so the Minutemen never got that much attention. I bought this record one day as a way of trying to coerce myself into finally listening to this record and this is the first time I've listened to it all the way through. I really need to watch We Jam Econo. I have it here, somewhere, on a burnt DVD, because the whole concept of jamming econo, after wikipediaing this album, is very cool to me because I am a cheapskate. Honestly, to properly write up this record I'd need to devote a week or so like it was some kind of school project. I'd like that. Just looking at the songwriting credits alone, which features assistance from the likes of members of Black Flag and Saccharine Trust. There's just too much to wade through here on one listen. All I can do is attempt to soak up as much as I can, but there's so much going on I often forget where I'm at, which side I'm on, etc. Maybe tonight I'll read the chapter on the Minutemen in Our Band Could Be Your Life, because right now I feel clueless and like I'm not able to properly appreciate something that is so purely cool and different from everything else that was going on in the mid-80s. That and since I just heard D. Boon sing that line to me. I mean, they cover Steely Dan, Van Halen, and CCR. How punk rock is that?! And what's this?! The “Jackass” theme song! Didn't know that was on here! As I listen, I'm becoming more and more endeared to this, if one can become endeared to this record. Bummer that D. Boon died.

No comments:

Post a Comment