Friday, October 23, 2009

No Age - Nouns

No Age – Nouns
Sub Pop, 2008
Acquired: Love Garden, New, 2008
Price: $12

Funny story. At one point I had three copies of this record on vinyl. I bought this the day it came out, and then a few days later someone asked if I'd got it on white vinyl. “No!” I exclaimed. “I did not know it was available” on white vinyl!” So I went back and sure enough Love Garden had a mix of the two. So I bought another copy, this time on white. I decided I would give the first copy to my brother for Christmas. Soon after Nouns entered rotation at KJHK and charted at #1. As a result, Sub Pop sent me a copy of the record. On vinyl. So I gave that one away to Chris Clark, I think. I certainly didn't want three copies of this record! Not that it's bad, it's fucking rad as hell. And “Eraser” might even be better than “Everybody's Down,” despite following its structure exactly (although slightly more complexly). It was my favorite song of 2008, natch. The resto f the album is full of weirdo punk jams, and much more even than Weirdo Rippers because half the tracks aren't just weird noise experiments and sound collagey tracks. It's a satisfying record. “Teen Creeps,” “Sleeper Hold,” and “Brain Burner” are all monster jams that could easily be singles on their own, giving this record a 1 to 3 monster jam to jam ratio, which is a mighty fine ratio. I still don't know if No Age is gonna be around in a couple of years, or if anyone will ever remember them. I'd like to think people think this record is great years from now, but it might just become a slice of the late 00s zeitgeist, as No Age pretty much spawned a fleet of lo-fi punk bands that all pretty much sound the same now. But really it doesn't matter where this is going, cuz the jams speak for themselves. Jenny just asked if we could listen to Superchunk instead of this.

Not only my favorite song, but my favorite video of 2008!

No comments:

Post a Comment