Sunday, October 11, 2009

Love is All - A Hundred Things Keep Me Up at Night

Love is All – A Hundred Things Keep Me Up at Night
What's Your Rupture?, 2008
Acquired: Gift Received as KJHK Music Director, New, 2008
Price: Free

Oh the perks of being music director! Every once in a while promoters would be really happy with my work. I never cheated the charts and I never put anything that wasn't voted into rotation into rotation (with a couple of exceptions) but sometimes the cards would just be in my favour. Love is All did well all on their own and What's Yr Rupture sent me a CD and vinyl copy of this record. That was pretty exciting, even though I gave the album a pretty middling review. Missing are the catchy monster pop hits like “Make Out Fall Out Make Up,” “Spinning and Scratching,” and “Ageing Had Never Been His Friend” from the cleverly titled Nine Times That Same Song. Unlike that record, all of these songs do tend to sound the same. Tracks like “Wishing Well” and “Big Bangs, Black Holes, Meteorites” are excellent, but mostly this is just pleasant quirky noisy Swedish indie-pop with a sometimes annoying female lead singer. (imagine Victoria Bergsman on helium). The art-punk vibe from the mid-00s is still there though, and maybe that's why I'm not that into the record. Honestly though, this is a fine record. Not one that I'll listen to on repeat but it's good, you know? Pinpointing the things that I like about it is easier than pinpointing the things that I don't like, and the things I don't like are often subjective and doesn't mean shit when it comes to reviewing the album critically. I saw this one at the Love Garden Blowout Location the other day and honestly, I would have bought it if I didn't already have it (for $3 but still!). Plus, the five song covers EP that preceded this was pretty damn excellent.

Also, I really like the video for "Wishing Well."

No comments:

Post a Comment