Monday, October 12, 2009

Low - Trust

Low – Trust
Kranky, 2003
Acquired: Love Garden, New, 2006
Price: $16

Despite following much of the same formula as Things We Lost in the Fire, Trust for some reason wasn't nearly as critically lauded. I think it's great though. This is the record Schyler made me listen to freshman year, shortly after we started dating. In particular, she made me listen to “In the Drugs,” which was unlike anything I'd ever heard before. Granted, I'd only recently started scooping up indie bands a year or so before, but yeah, Low blew my mind. It because perpetual sleepytime music. And while it has some of Low's saddest, slowest, most depressing songs (“In the Drugs,” “That's How You Sing Amazing Grace,” and the excellent “Little Argument With Myself” and the more excellent “Point of Disgust”), it's got some pop jams too! Well, in a sense. There's the distorted, bass-driven “Canada” and there's the sleighbell-laced “Last Snowstorm of the Year,” which is a perfect impromptu Christmas song. “La La La Song” is another song with a lilt to it, and it's good! It hints at the makeover to come with The Great Destroyer, which got even more shit than Trust, which I think is totally lame because that record is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment