Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2

The Microphones – The Glow Pt. 2
K, 2001
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2006
Price: $12

I didn't even know vinyl copies of this record existed, so I got really, really excited when I found this and made all my friends jealous. A couple years later they did a big re-release but it just wasn't the same, this is a legit old school copy of The Glow Pt. 2, a record which demands to be heard on vinyl. The warmth Phil Elverum creates needs analog, NEEDS IT. Plus, this record is one you must listen to all the way through. I mean, you don't have to. I singled out the title track, “I Felt Your Shape,” and “You'll Be in the Air” when I first heard the record, but now I usually just listen all the way through. It's too good not to. Each listen is rewarding. I really like the text-layout of the tracklist on the back. All the legit songs are in big font, with the little instrumentals and transitions in smaller fonts. It's nice. There's an alternate version of “I Felt Your Shape” on a live Mt. Eerie record I have and there's an added verse that gives clarity to the meaning of the lyrics and makes it way sad, but more on that later. Importantly, the record is really fucking long but there's so much going on, but it never gets old. There's a great sense of indie-pop going on here too, though it's not outwardly apparent. The melodies are very catchy, despite the songs being quit sad at times. Ung, it's perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment