Monday, October 19, 2009

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Neutral Milk Hotel – In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Merge, 1998
Acquired: Christmas Gift, New, 2005
Price: $0

This is my favorite record of all time and I've written or said everything I can really say about this album and why it is my favorite. This is my evangelism. I play this for someone and they fall in love with it. That's all I can do, really, because words just don't work anymore. It is the only record that can make me weep. It's what I put on when I feel like life is miserable. It's a go-to anytime record and once I start it I have to listen all the way through to “Two Headed Boy Pt 2.” I do not know who Jeff Mangum is, or what planet he comes from (Earth, I suppose, but how can someone write something so magnificent and beautiful), but I think in 50 years this is going to be viewed with the same reverence as Blonde on Blonde or Revolver or any of the landmark records of the 20th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment