Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Morrissey - Viva Hate

Morrissey – Viva Hate
Sire, 1988
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2006
Price: $8

Released six months after the Smiths final record, Morrissey was wasting no time establishing himself as not only a solo artist, but the king of maudlin, dreary pop music. It's also his best solo record. Apparently the original title was to be Education in Reverse, which is a fucking awesome album title. But then again, so is Viva Hate. Maybe I'll steal that one. It's a little lighter than the Smiths and less focused on creating all-encompassing jams than Morrissey being Morrissey. But really, this sounds pretty much like a Smiths record. “Everyday is Like Sunday” is probably his best (if not, then most well known) song and yeah, it's great. The perfect song for a rainy day, etc. I used it in a short film I made freshman year when God transports the devil from purgatory to a beautiful meadow, which is then flash-forwarded to a construction site. “Everyday is Like Sunday” is playing in the background, and I still think that is the funniest part of the movie, which I have since pretty much renounced. It's a quieter record, lots of strings, and it's beautiful. But you already know that, and I'm kind of just regurgitating everything that's pry already been said bout this record. I am realizing, though, that it's one I need to spend more time with because there are some subtleties that I've overlooked. Some really excellent songs I never paid attention to.

No comments:

Post a Comment