Friday, October 16, 2009

My Dad is Dead - For Richer, For Poorer

My Dad is Dead – For Richer, For Poorer
Emperor Jones, 1995
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2007
Price: $6

This is another record I bought based on hearing a band on Justin Brown's Alternative Flashback show on KJHK. Apparently these dudes are from Cleveland and this came out on the same label that put out the Mountain Goats All Hail West Texas. Just FYI. Mostly, this sounds like a cross between Joy Division and REM. The singer's voice has this miraculous 50/50 mix of Ian Curtis and Michael Stipe. Equal parts post-punk and American indie underground 90s college rock. Apparently these dudes are still kicking! Ultimately, this record's crowning achievement is that it sounds like it was recorded in 1995. There really is no other year this could have come from. Mid 90s at its most elemental! “I Had a Dream” is the best song here, and one I'd really like to throw on a mixtape I wanna make of the hidden gems in my record collection.

This song isn't on the record, but I think it's one they're known for. That is to say, it's the song of theirs that sounds familiar. Really dig this one though! You can really peg that Joy Division influence, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment