Friday, October 30, 2009

The Replacements - Pleased to Meet Me

The Replacements – Pleased to Meet Me
Sire, 1987
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2007
Price: $6

Did you know that Alex Chilton plays guitar on “Can't Hardly Wait.” I'm amazed at how little I know about this record. For instance, I didn't know that it was after Tim and I didn't know it was their SECOND record on a major. I also realize I've never really listened to this record all the way through. I know about ¾ of the songs but I've probably only listened to this all the way through something like 4 or 5 times. I specifically listening to this and Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak back to back to back to back with Spacek on the way to Austin the first time in 08. I should also note that “Alex Chilton” is my favorite song of all time, and the chorus served as my ringtone for three years until a few weeks ago when I got my phone replaced and they wouldn't give me my old ringtones so I've simply refused to shell out 3 bucks to buy it for a THIRD time. Even though I owned this album, I bought the “Alex Chilton” 12” single even though that was the only song on it. Anyway. This record is loaded with jams, even though a few of the tracks sound a little too “hard rock” or fucking weird (there's a cliched 80's mainstream sax solo in here somewhere). But mostly, just jams. “Can't Hardly Wait,” “Alex Chilton,” “I.O.U.,” “I Don't Know,” and the ever lovely and beer stained blues “Skyway” offers, which I interchange with “Here Comes the Regular” when I feel like trash. Wish I had Let it Be, though.

Oh how far you've come, Placemats!

1 comment:

  1. I got my copy of Let It Be in the Love Garden shotgun room. I know - baffling.

    ReplyDelete