Sunday, October 4, 2009

June of 44 - Four Great Points

June of 44 – Four Great Points
Quarterstick, 1998
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2007
Price: $5

From post-punk to post-rock. This was acquired during my “oh my god, have you heard Spiderland, this is so fucking good why haven't I listened to this before” phase. This was also something I picked up from when Gabe or Justin was hosting Alt-Flashback, probably Justin because he played a lot of this post-rock/math-rock stuff, and I know for a fact I remember really digging June of 44 during one of his shows. The singer here, for some reason, reminds me of Henry Rollins, yet on previous records he does not. June of 44 are more aggressive than Slint (unlike, say, Rodan who sounded exactly like Slint), yet less aggressive than say, Big Black. It's a nice happy medium. I'm not too put off but it still has a little bit of an edge. Apparently they were referred to as “the punk rock pirates of the math-rock world” and were some sort of supergroup and members went on to form bands as cool as Rachel's and Shipping News and Mice Parade. Despite trivia, this record is really cool. All of the June of 44 records are cool, and I really want Engine Takes to Water but can't find it. My favorite song is the one that seems to be repeating the phrase “Take down your art” over and over, because I can't tell you how many times I've thought that while sitting at coffee shops in this town.

No comments:

Post a Comment